Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Abuelita'a Menudo recipe by popular request



Orale I know you vatos have been asking for my abuelita menudo recipe, pues orale aqui esta.

A large saucepan
1 calf's pata (foot) (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
2 pounds honeycomb tripe
1 large cebolla (onion)
3 cloves ajo (garlic), peeled
6 peppercorns
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
4 quarts of agua (water)
A comal or griddle
3 large chiles anchos
A spice grinder
A large chile poblano, peeled or 2 canned, peeled green chiles
The calf's pata (foot)
1/2 cup canned hominy (1 pound) drained (see note below)
Sal (Salt) as necessary
1 scant teaspoon oregano

Have the carnicero (butcher) cut the calf's pata (foot) into quatro (four) pieces. Cut the tripe into small squares. Put them into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with agua (water) and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the tripe and pata (foot) are just tender but not too suave (soft). Meanwhile, toast the chilies well. Slit them open and remove the seeds and veins from the chile poblano, cut it into strips, and add to the carne (meat) while it is cooking. Remove the pieces of calf's pata (foot) from the pen, and when they are cool enough to handle, strip off the fleshy parts. Chop them roughly and return them to the pan.

Add hominy and continue cooking the menudo slowly, still uncovered, for another 2 hours.

Add salt as necessary. Sprinkle with oregano and serve (see note below).

This amount is sufficient for 7 or 8 people. It should be served in large, deep bowls with hot tortillas and small dishes of chopped chile serranos, finely chopped onion and wedges of lime for each person to help himself, along with Salsa de Tomate Verde Cruda to be eaten with tortillas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Don that's a fine looking bowl of menudo, maybe someday you will invite me over for menudo.

Anonymous said...

Hey don't forget about me, I would love to share conversation and a Dos XX while eating some of that delicious menudo.

Anonymous said...

Don, great recipe, I will have to invite you over to taste your abuelita's menudo recipe.

Don Q. you are a gentleman and a scholar and hope you keep posting on your fantastic blog.

I will be checking back often, anxiously awaiting for updates.

xoxoxo
Conchita

Anonymous said...

I usually prefer sushi, but I have to say that bowl of menudo looks so mouth watering, I will have my wife cook me some menudo.

But I will be drinking a large Saphorro beer with my menudo.

Anonymous said...

that does look like some good menudo, wheres my invite don.

Anonymous said...

i haven't checked this blof in ahwile its looking tight.

Anonymous said...

Tight like a frog's ass? Incidently your menudo looks like sumthin puked up by an ulcerous wimo about to croak from blood loss.

StillNoScript said...

Don , I love Menudo almost as much as Gumbo and Chitlins. Can I come over for a bowl? Maybe you can give me one of those famous mustach rides after the food settles.